The History of Our Church

In the year 1906, St. John the Baptist was a Missionary Parish attached to Saint Monica's Church in Palatka. Father Patrick Barry from St. Monica's celebrated Mass at different parishioners' homes approximately three or four times a year. In 1910, St. John the Baptist Church Catholic Church was erected at the corners of Lemon and Main Sts. in Crescent City. In 1932, Mass was celebrated once a week due to Bishop Patrick Barry.

Father John F. Wells celebrated the first Mass in our present Church on December 13, 1959. The dedication was on January 16, 1960 by Archbishop Joseph Hurley.

Father Hugh E. Dolan was the 1st Resident Pastor 1969
Father John Sheppard, C.S. Sp. 1973
Father Herbert Maher, C.S. Sp (Adm. Pro Temp) 1974
Father Thomas Sullivan 1976
Father John Gillispie 1979
Father Brian Eburn 1981
Father James May 2002
Father Jhon Guarnizo 2008
Father Rodolfo Godinez 2012
Father James May 2014

Since the Holy See created the Diocese of St. Augustine on March 11, 1870, the following have served as our Bishop's: Jean Pierre Verot, John Moore, William J. Kenny, Michael J. Carley, Patrick J. Barry, Joseph P. Hurley, Thomas J. McDonough, Paul F. Tanner, John J. Snyder, Victor Galeone, and Felipe Estevez (Current Bishop).

The History of St. John the Baptist

Saint John the Baptist, a cousin of Christ, began preaching in the wilderness that people should repent because the kingdom of heaven was at hand. He baptized his followers, including Christ, in the Jordan river. He hailed Christ as the lamb of God in reference to Isaiah's image of the lamb led to slaughter to bear the sins of mankind, and also because of the custom of sacrificing a lamb at Passover.

Feast Day: June 24th.